Thursday, March 20, 2003

SHANE BATTIER, QUIET PATRIOT: Lang Whitaker pointed out this Battier quote:

"We all have a role to play in this world," Battier said. "A lot of times, people scoff at our profession and those in the entertainment industry. But we know there are so many people in this country who work hard and who are under pressure who need to take a break from the world events. That's when they can watch sports on TV, or maybe come to a Grizzlies game, and maybe relax for a few hours."

It also struck Battier that the role of sports intensifies in time of war.

"I was watching SportsCenter and it was pretty moving to me when they were talking to a young infantry man in Kuwait," Battier said. "He was saying how important sports was to our guys and girls in the Middle East. A lot of them follow us and want us to keep on keeping on.

"So my approach is I'm going to do my job as an American. I'm going to do my job to the best of my ability, and try to bring a piece of America to the Middle East, and raise morale over there."

It's weird how Duke players become dramatically less annoying once they reach the pros--well, maybe not that weird, their annoying on-court behavior is all part of the Mike Krzyzewski game plan.

No comments: