Thursday, February 05, 2004

JOKE MADE TOO LATE: So I have this particularly onerous duty at the hospital where I work at, which involves sorting out these little plastic letters to spell out the schedule of the lectures people are giving this month. Well, it's more annoying than onerous. Anyhoo, I'm spelling "VENOUS DISEASE" and the parking guy walks by and points to it and says, "That's not how you spell that." And I'm like, "How would you know?"--in a reciprocally jokey tone. "That's a planet, man," he says, limping away (he has a slight limp from an accident.) And I smile openly, and chuckle lowly, as a joke has been made and I have gotten it.

THE PUNCHLINE: Getting ready for work this morning I think: "Better venous disease than URANUS DISEASE!" HA! Oh man, that would've been classic. But the joke went untold, and I can only offer it up to you, oh Internet, and Google thy Archiver, in hopes that a joke unmade may still have some shimmery cyber-value. Plus Uranus jokes have their own kind of value.

No comments: