Wednesday, February 20, 2002

KEN LAYNE: Has picked up on the Tom Tomorrow blog. (If you go there now there's a Dubya pinup.) Ken makes the Tomorrow/Rall comparison: "Dan Perkins (aka Tom Tomorrow) takes on a lot of the same targets as Ted Rall, but Perkins' cartoons are funny." S'funny, I think back in the day when the Comics Journal interviewed one of those two he (whichever one it was) said people often got the two of them confused, probably because they appear in the same places (free alt weeklies) and have a similar spare, nuance-via-repetition style. Ken also says, regarding Rall: "A cartoon should be funny." I'm probably in the minority here (and I've said this before) but I think Rall is funny sometimes --the one where he gets run over by Art Spiegelman's SUV is hilarious. For me the "cartoon should be funny" criticism applies to Lynda Barry, whom some people absolutely love but I've never been able to get into because I never thought her stuff was that....funny. For good non-funny comics check out Palestine, the amazing journey into the mind of a geek called Mail-Order Bride and everything Harvey Pekar ever did.

No comments: