Monday, February 04, 2002

MY WEEKEND: Was spent in beautiful Richmond, Virginia. Saturday I watched the initial card of John Boy and Billy's WrestleForce America, promoted by former WCW guy Lodi (who has adopted a Perry Saturn look, quite a departure from his Billy Idol-lookalike amiable goof days.) John Boy and Billy, it was explained to me, are a pan-Southern radio show phenomenon who have lent their name to this thing, so maybe this is an attempt to get a Southern promotion going. I watched with the DVDVR guys and my friend Churi and had multiple Pabst Blue Ribbons. Churi kept falling asleep; poor lil fella was all tuckered out from being on call at the hospital the night before. Yet she sportingly came out to see the wrestling and we got Church's afterwards --their corn on the cob on a stick is really great. I also met (mul)Doomstone, The Confederate Mack and Acehole for the first time, which was pretty cool. The show itself was decent wrestling. Read the DVDVR report when they post it (the site is down now), they know their shit.

On Sunday Dean took me to McLean's to get fried eggs (Dean said he met Jerry Falwell there once) and then the Hollywood Cemetery, which is long and rambling and full of ornate and weird tombstones combining Christian and pagan symbolism. There's also a bunch of crypts and angels frozen in mourning for the moment of death. As Dean said: "Welcome to the South."

And of course the Patriots pulled off the upset. U-S-A! U-S-A! I really think Mike Martz is kind of a cretin. You've got Marshall Faulk; when the chips are down, just run the guy. How hard is that? And every Rams game I've seen this season there's always been one questionable challenge or timeout. So I'm not buying the Mike Martz: Supergenius arguments right yet.

No comments: