Friday, March 08, 2002

FUNNY: That pugnacious Pundit 21 has the Frank & Ernest strip that incensed the Libertarian Party enough to comment on it. They sound like NOW or somebody in their fearless humorlessness:


But the problem is that the comic distorts what Libertarians believe, said Winter.

"Libertarianism is a philosophy that defines the proper relationship between individuals and government," he said. "According to the Bible, the Ten Commandments are instructions from God. It's not our job as Libertarians to tell people what is or isn't a proper religious belief. That's why a Libertarian wouldn't 'go bananas' about the Ten Commandments.

"A Libertarian may or may not agree with your particular religious beliefs. But a Libertarian would respect them, and allow you to practice them in peace. That may not be as funny as a Frank and Ernest comic strip -- but it's the truth."

So, are Libertarians going to "go bananas" on artist Bob Thaves?

"Of course not," said Winter. "If I ever met him, I might have a frank and earnest conversation about what Libertarians really believe. Then I would congratulate him for creating such a consistently funny and clever comic strip."


"Frank and earnest conversation." He must be the last person in America reading Frank & Ernest, by the way. Bill Winter must've missed the Family Circus where Dolly told Bil Keane, "You can't make me clean my room, I'ma libertarian." I swear that's funny, Family Circus jokes are comedy gold; whenever Bill Griffith wants me to laugh at a Zippy, he'll throw in a Family Circus reference. Or he would if my local paper still carried him. Maybe I can get some back issues from Fantagraphics...

No comments: