Monday, February 07, 2005

MONOPOLY CARD MONDAY: You know in Monopoly, you have the cards that unexpectedly bless you with cash or remove it from you? Like "YOU HAVE WON SECOND PRIZE IN A BEAUTY CONTEST COLLECT $10"? I had their real-life equivalent happen to me today:

According to our records, you purchased a Postal Service employment packet from Think Achievement Corporation. The district court for the Northern District of Indiana has found in favor of the Federal Trade Commission ("FTC") that Think Achievement engaged in fraudulent and deceptive trade practices in connection with the sale of Postal Service employment packets. In fact, you never have to pay for information about job vacancies or employment opportunities with the U.S. government or U.S. Postal Service. It is available for free at www.usajobs.com.

On November 18, 2004, the district court approved the FTC's plan for refunds to consumers who had purchased these packets. Pursuant to the district court's order, the FTC contracted with Analytics, Inc., to administer the refund distribution.

My cut? A cool $25 and change.

And yes, I bought the packet--like six years ago, when I was really sick of my office drone status and postal work seemed easy and consistent employment. I never did apply for reasons that escape me, but do not regret now. Probably something about not wanting to trade one kind of monkey work for another. The rest is history.

No comments: