Sunday, January 09, 2005

FAKE MORAL OUTRAGE IN SPORTS WATCH: Didja catch the Packers-Vikings game? Did you notice when Randy Moss, after he scored, made a "mooning" action towards the crowd but did not actually lower his pants? Chris Collinsworth, clearly amused, said, "He's slipping the the moon!" or something like it. Joe Buck--clearly terrified of Michael Powell--than broke in with oh-that's-so-terrible and I'm-sorry-you-had-to-see-that and was just shocked, shocked at Moss' MIMICKING MOONING THE CROWD AT LAMBEAU.

At first I couldn't figure out why Buck got so hopped up at that moment--I can't recall him playing a moral arbiter on teevee, merely a somewhat smug play-by-play man. But I think it must be above, he was thinking Big Picture for Fox and tried to head off three hundred letters from L. Brent Bozell at the pass, all full of outrage that somebody had dared to pantomime buttock-exposure during the family-friendly confines of an NFL game. Because I can't believe he would actually care to the degree that he did. And then he never mentioned it again, obviously having to fight through his teeth-clenching outrage for the rest of the game.

If you were at all shocked or outraged by what Moss did, and you weren't for the Packers, you're clearly insane.

By the way, Favre had what I am thinking was his final playoff meltdown today. I didn't watch the whole game, but heard there was quite of bit of Favre-fellating on it. This has never really bothered me, as I like Favre, but agree he gets away with a lot of dumb decisions based on his past acheivements. Now the incessant Peyton praise--which always sounds like teachers praising that one kid who sucked up to them and got wonderful grades while his peers knew he was an ass--that I can't stand.

No comments: