Friday, December 21, 2001

FUNNIEST JOKE FOUND: Actually the funniest joke that these guys found when they studied humor scientifically, according to Nature. The more important point is that the study found one of those male-female division in humor-apprehension: men prefer put-downs (like your momma jokes, I guess), women prefer puns. I thought that was the more important point of the article, anyway, since this is the current funniest joke in the world:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson are going camping. They pitch their tent under the stars and go to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes wakes Watson up. "Watson, look up at the stars, and tell me what you deduce." Watson says, "I see millions of stars and even if a few of those have planets, it's quite likely there are some planets like Earth, and if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life." Holmes replied: "Watson, you idiot, somebody stole our tent!"

It's pretty good but I don't think this beats the great German pre-war joke. "My dog's got no nose." "How's it smell?" "Awful." HA HA HA HA oh man, it's still effective sixty years later.

No comments: